Skip to main content

Why Is Modesty Important To Me As A Woman of God? (Part I)


As I pondered and asked the Lord, what should be my next topic on the blog. I came across this picture of Megan Good at the 2013 BET Awards, as shown above. I was in total shock because I knew she married a minister and professed to be a Christian. The spirit then gave me the topic of modesty (spiritual and physical). As I researched all of the backlash that she got from her choice of dress, the spirit gave me Romans 12:2 (NIV) which says, “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.”
I have noticed that as time goes on woman of God are becoming more and more scantly dressed. Conforming to what society deems as how a woman should dress. In the words of my father,  “ women are walking the streets naked.” In today’s society you can’t distinguish a woman of God from a woman of the world (in action and attire). In a conversation with a friend, she said that she needed to find the tightest, shortest dress she could to attend a mutual friend’s wedding. In addition, I went to a gospel function with one of my unsaved friends and you could not tell me I was not in the club, with all of the tight, short short dresses that I saw. At the end of the function my friend told me that she was very disappointed in how the Christian women dressed who hosted the function. She went on to say even she knows that if she goes to church or a Christian function not to dress in that way and that she expected better.  I can go on and on with the many experiences that I have had and how disappointed I have been to see women of God dressing so vulgarly. Now a day you cannot even approach your sister in the Lord about her dress because she will say you are judging her. But are you really judging her? Or are you trying to help her?
As my research continued I found that many Christian churches were allowing men to teach women how to dress and focused on how woman should not dress to make Christian men fall into sin. Christian women and feminist were upset with this sort of teaching. There was just so much information that I didn’t know. I then grew to understand that this topic was much more controversial than I thought. All I ever learnt was that God said Christian women should be modest. Modesty is not just in the way you dress but also in your actions. So I asked God if He was sure this was my next topic. But I can only be lead by the spirit of God and if I offend some people I am sorry, but I am only giving you what He gives me. This is going to be a sequel of posts on modesty dealing with the spiritual and physical aspects. But I want to you to ponder on this question,   “As a woman of God, when you dress and go out for the world to see, is it representing God and bringing glory and honor to His name?”  In answering that question remember that I Corinthians 6: 19-20 (KJV) says, “What? Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.” To be continued….
Love you all!
Daughter of the King

Bible Verses
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” Romans 12:2 (NIV)
What? Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.” I Corinthians 6: 19-20 (KJV)


Comments

  1. I applaud you for being brave enough to address this issue. It is an issue that needs to be dealt with in our Christian communities. Nowadays it seems as if we have a brand of Christians who only want to hear about God's blessings, promises, anointing etc (nothing is wrong with any of those, of course.) The problem comes in when we only focus on those things and forget that God also says that His Word corrects us, rebukes us and teaches us. Sadly our Christian brothers and sisters seem not to want any of the bitter but necessary parts of the gospel. In 2 Timothy 4:3 Paul warns Timothy about the very thing we see happening among Christians today; not wanting to put up with sound doctrine, hence the comeback everyone who is being rebuked or corrected uses; that they are being judged.
    There should be a noticeable difference between a Christian and a non-believer, even in the way we dress. Any Christian who believes otherwise just makes me question the depth of their relationship with God. I've had instances where I'd select a particular outfit to wear to go out and the Holy Spirit would blatantly tell me that it was not appropriate. I've even had to give away some of my clothes because the Holy Spirit would not give me peace/rest whenever I wore them.
    If we say Christianity is a way of life we mean that it permeates every area of our lives, even the way we dress. As for the picture above, if you hadn't mentioned that she is a minister's wife, there is no way I could have guessed it! It's shocking to realize that the mother of a church would dress this way; what does this teach the young women in her church?
    I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your sequels on modesty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daughter of The KingJuly 24, 2013 11:36 AM

    Thanks mpumintobela for your support in addressing such a controversial issue. I could have not said it better myself. As I go to church Sunday after Sunday I continue to take the part of the message that is to correct me and make me better each day as a Christian. I can only prayer we can get past thinking its judgement if someone corrects you. Also I think now a days some Christians forget that yes Christ looks at the heart, but we are ambassadors for Christ and man looks at our outward appearance, which should represent Christ. And you have the right idea and touched a bit on what I am going to go into when it comes to allowing the Holy Spirit to teach you how to dress. Having the Holy Spirit is so vital in your Christian walk, because the Holy Spirit will teach you how to live in this world and it corrects you when you are wrong. Thanks so much for your input!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The difference between the right word and the almost right word is more than just a fine line! it's like the difference between a lightning bug and the lightning!

    cool necklaces

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart is encouraged when I see young women like you value modesty and desire to honor God in all you do! I posted about modesty on my blog a while back. If you're interested in reading it, please visit http://bornagainandblessed.blogspot.com/2011/04/m-word.html .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daughter of The KingAugust 01, 2013 9:22 PM

    Thank you so much! Your post on Modesty was great, many women would be offended by what your pastor did but he stood up for what was right.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Labels

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Modesty Survey I

In doing research for the topic of modesty, I stumbled across this very controversial survey, The Modesty Survey. The Modesty Survey is an anonymous discussion between Christian guys and girls on the topic of modesty. Apparently hundreds of Christian girls contributed to the 148-question survey and over 1,600 Christian guys submitted 150,000+ answers, including 25,000 text responses, over a 20-day period in the year of 2007. Usually you would think this is a dream come true for Christian women to be able to pick a Christian man’s brain on such a controversial issue. Initially in 2007 it was a hit and now the women who had contributed along with other men who had participated in the survey now feel that it was the worst thing that they could have done. After reading the views of both parties, I want to encourage you to read the points of view and form your own personal opinion of the survey. The links posted below are from one of the females and one of the males that took part in con

Prayers For The Month of November

Good morning to all, Sorry I have been away for a while but I am back! I pray that September and October have been good months to you. This is the month of Thanksgiving as many tend to call it. We have so much to give God thanks for. Just being alive is a blessing!  For the month of November I want us to concentrate on corporate prayer. You may ask well what is she talking about? Corporate prayer doesn't need to be a gathering of saints praying together. No, corporate prayer is about you standing in the gap for someone. There are many prophets in the Bible who did this and we can look at the story of Habakkuk. He was one of the minor prophets in the Bible who had no sin, but prayed and begged and pleaded God for mercy, forgiveness and restoration on behalf of his people who were in exile in Babylon.  God dropped in my spirit that we need to take time to prayer for others and not just ourselves. I have been guilty of this as well. So this month let's prayer f

Prayers For The Month of September

Happy September! I know its been years since I have posted, but I am back and better than ever! Still going through my trials, but trusting and depending on God. I hope you all have been well! For the month of September, I want us all to concentrate on praying for our unbelief. Did she just say unbelief? Yes I did. But you may say what is she talking about? I believe in God. A friend of mine pointed out to me just how much unbelief I truly have when we were talking about a situation I was going through. And I sat back and thought, "Wow, I really do have unbelief." It was an ugly truth. Because the word of God clearly says that without faith it is impossible to please God (Hebrews 11:6).  The dictionary defines unbelief as, "the state or quality of not believing." Unbelief also represents two Greek words,"apeitheia," which means disobedience and "apistia," which means distrust. So when we exhibit unbelief we are not believing God,