Skip to main content

Why Is Modesty Important To Me As A Woman of God? (Spiritual Modesty) (Part III)

In the last post I was talking about the importance of having love in spiritual modesty. I Peter 4:8 (NIV) says, “Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.” Do you see how important love really is? The ways in which we can show love for others is most importantly having a strong relationship with God because the more we love God the more we will have a love for others around us. I John 4: 20 (KJV) says “If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?”  So you cannot love God and not love others. Learn to be attentive, and listen, be respectful and keep your promises. These are just a few ways on how you can show love without words and it also shows one of the most important aspects of spiritual modesty. So the other two aspects of spiritual modesty that I mentioned were humility and good speech. Lets move on to humility.
C.S. Lewis says that, “Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it’s thinking of yourself less.” I have been a Christian for ten years now and what I have come to learn is that humility is something that is gained and practiced as we grow in the wisdom of God. In my earlier years as a Christian I would love to boast of my accomplishments and how I could do things better than others. I thought my academic accomplishments were because of mine own abilities. In college God gave me a wake-up call and I experienced the worse semester of my life. It was here that I found that only because of Him that I was truly excelling academically. God brought me down from my high horse. It was a life lesson to me, and at this point in my life I developed more humility. It made me think of David because no matter what David did wrong or right he was never ashamed to ever go before the Lord to give thanks or asks for forgiveness. Each and every day I am working towards a heart like David. Proverbs 27:1-2 (NIV) says “Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth. Let someone else praise you, and not your own mouth; an outsider, and not your own lips.” Today, in all I do or in anything that I am praised or acknowledged for I give God the praise and glory because I know that it’s all because of Him. You know Jesus is one of the greatest examples of humility because He left His throne above to dwell on earth with no riches or fame. He could have lived in mansions like the rich and experience the best things in life but He came with a purpose to die for you and me. He displayed so much humility all throughout His life in the way He spoke to people, treated people and even in His teaching. He was God in the flesh and was so humble!  We should aim to be like Him every day! The ways in which we as Christians can display humility is to always be respectful, even to those who aren’t respectful to us. In addition, count your blessings, recognize your faults, stop comparing yourself to others and trying to be better than them and appreciate the talents and qualities of others. These are just a few ways in which we can display humility. Remember there is only one you and no matter if you believe that you are the best at what you do, there is always someone who can do it better. Matthew 23:12 (KJV) says, “And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.” So be humble with the talents and abilities that God has blessed you with and let Him do the rest.  
The first saying that comes to mind about having good speech is this American English idiom that came about in World War II, and it says, “Loose lips sinks ships.” It means to beware of unguarded talk. It was created by the War Advertising Counsel and used on posters by the United States Offices of War Information. Some Christians are so loose with their lips now days.  It’s not about the type of language so much, because we know that as women of God we should avoid filthy and obscene language. Also we should avoid the casual, irreverent use of the Lord’s name that is common in the world today. Our problem is using our tongue to murder our brothers and sisters in the Lord. As kids we said, “Sticks and stones may brick my bones, but words will never hurt me. “ In truth, words do hurt. Some people have nothing nice to say about others and it just disheartening to see how disgenuine people have become. They will smile in your face and talk behind your back. Philippians 2:3 (KJV) says, “ Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.” Being single women we should practice having an uplifting speech. We want to be wives and mothers who uplift their husbands and children when they are discouraged.  Let’s begin now to practice what we preach, speak words of love, and encouragement to those in need. In order to practice good speech remember the golden rule we were taught as kids, if you have nothing nice to say about a person, don’t say anything at all. Remember that your words and actions can have a profound influence on you and on others. Express yourself through clean, positive, and uplifting language that bring happiness to those around you and also more importantly brings glory to God.
Ladies let’s be aware of not only our physical modesty but also our spiritual modesty. Let us practice walking in love, humility and having good speech that doesn’t harm or hinder but heals and uplifts. I pray that these posts on Spiritual Modesty have been a blessing to you. In my upcoming posts I plan to address Physical Modesty.
Love you all!


Daughter of the King
Bible Verses
“Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.” I Peter 4:8 (NIV)
“If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?”  I John 4: 20 (KJV)
“Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth. Let someone else praise you, and not your own mouth; an outsider, and not your own lips.”  Proverbs 27:1-2 (NIV)
And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.” Matthew 23:12 (KJV)
 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.” Philippians 2:3 (KJV)


Be blessed! “In Christ Alone” by Michael English






Comments

Labels

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Modesty Survey I

In doing research for the topic of modesty, I stumbled across this very controversial survey, The Modesty Survey. The Modesty Survey is an anonymous discussion between Christian guys and girls on the topic of modesty. Apparently hundreds of Christian girls contributed to the 148-question survey and over 1,600 Christian guys submitted 150,000+ answers, including 25,000 text responses, over a 20-day period in the year of 2007. Usually you would think this is a dream come true for Christian women to be able to pick a Christian man’s brain on such a controversial issue. Initially in 2007 it was a hit and now the women who had contributed along with other men who had participated in the survey now feel that it was the worst thing that they could have done. After reading the views of both parties, I want to encourage you to read the points of view and form your own personal opinion of the survey. The links posted below are from one of the females and one of the males that took part in con

Prayers For The Month of November

Good morning to all, Sorry I have been away for a while but I am back! I pray that September and October have been good months to you. This is the month of Thanksgiving as many tend to call it. We have so much to give God thanks for. Just being alive is a blessing!  For the month of November I want us to concentrate on corporate prayer. You may ask well what is she talking about? Corporate prayer doesn't need to be a gathering of saints praying together. No, corporate prayer is about you standing in the gap for someone. There are many prophets in the Bible who did this and we can look at the story of Habakkuk. He was one of the minor prophets in the Bible who had no sin, but prayed and begged and pleaded God for mercy, forgiveness and restoration on behalf of his people who were in exile in Babylon.  God dropped in my spirit that we need to take time to prayer for others and not just ourselves. I have been guilty of this as well. So this month let's prayer f

Prayers For The Month of April

Happy April! I am so sorry I have been away for a while, but I am back by the grace of God. School got extremely hectic, but my thoughts and prayers were always with you! It's amazing how the page has received so much views and attention! Thanks for your support! So as we know this is the month that we commemorate the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ! We think about the love that kept Him on the cross for you and me. So for the month of April I am asking that we pray for three things: 1) Patience so that we can wait on God's timing. " But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience."   Romans 8:25 (ESV) 2) The love of God. Christ died just for me and you because of love, let's pray to be His hands extended and show that love each and every day! " But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. " Romans 5:8 (KJV) 3) A spirit of gratef