Skip to main content

Do Christian Women Dress Modestly?


Hello to all,

I greet you all in the mighty and saving name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I know I have been away for a while, but I am back. It has been an exhausting semester, but by the grace of God I got through it all. All glory and honor goes to Him.
        You may ask, “Why is she dealing with modesty again?” The only answer that I have to give is that the Holy Spirit has been constantly pressing it on my heart. I wanted to write about something else, but I couldn’t. Every time that I have sat to my laptop to start the topic that I have wanted to, nothing has came. When the Lord brought this into my spirit, a piece of fear creped in me, fear of speaking out, fear of saying what He wants me to say, but the Holy Spirit reminded my of 2 Timothy 1:7 (KJV) which says, “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” I am not going to fear, but I am going to say what God has given me.
        Ladies, to answer the question, no, the majority of Christian women don’t dress modestly and God is not pleased. All of the bikinis, spaghetti, tube, and halter-tops, short shorts, mini skirts, and the list goes on. Today you can’t tell the difference between a woman of God and a woman of the world and it’s disheartening. I want you to really evaluate how you dress. Do you dress that differently from the world? Are your skirts just as short? Are your shorts just as short or shorter? In some of these tops is your breast or your whole back exposed?  When you go to the beach are you in a bikini or a very revealing one piece? God is asking why? Now I have two final questions, would you go to church in such clothing? What is the purpose of it all?
        As I sat and pondered all of these questions, it made me reevaluate how I dressed.  I see myself as quite a modest person, not wearing tank, tube or halter tops or extremely short dresses, but I was slowly seeing myself trying to get into today’s fashion and following what I saw done. I said to myself maybe wearing a halter top, or a tube top, or spaghetti strap top is not as bad as I am making it out to be, or wearing a dress with a small opening to reveal a little of my sexy back, it may not be that bad. I have seen other women of God do it and it doesn’t affect who they are in Christ.
        God immediately corrected me, He said, “Don’t you know that your body is the place in which I dwell, you must live in this world, but not be of it. Just because other women of God are doing it does not make it right, nor does it make it ok. Remember whose you are and whom you belong to. I love you my daughter and don’t you change how to dress to fit in with the crowd.”  At that point I felt so comforted to know that I wasn’t just being old fashioned, but living up to the standard to which Christ has called us to live, a life of holiness. When someone sees you they must see Christ. Yes Christ looks at the heart, but man looks at your outward appearance.  I never totally agree with the way some of my sisters in Christ dress, but I pray for them and I say God allow your Holy Spirit to convict their hearts.
I’ve noticed that some women of God tend to change their way of dress depending on the place that they are going. For example weddings, how is that women who I have known all my life to dress modestly, are so naked in the house of the Lord. How can you as a bride, but first and foremost as a woman of God, come before the Lord so naked? I was in total shock at how some of my sisters in Christ dressed, skirts so short, cleavage for the world to see, backs out etc. What changes that you must change your style of dress? Would you dress this way in His house or His presence?
        I am not judging your way of dress, but I am challenging you to look at your wardrobe and seek God’s opinion and His approval on what you wear and what you have been wearing and ask yourself what are my intentions in wearing this.  God told me to tell you that this world is ever changing, but He remains the same! He is the same God yesterday, today and forever.  Sisters I want to encourage you to be women of God and not concentrate on the world and trends that you must follow, and though it may be few following the standard of modesty, know that it is always better to do what is right. I love you all!

Raven,
Daughter of the King!

Scripture Verses

“Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire.”                                                               
1 Timothy 2:9 (ESV)


“For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”                                                                    2 Timothy 1:7 (KJV)
“What? Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?” 
1 Corinthians 6:19 (KJV)
Check out my other posts on Modesty below:














Comments

Labels

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Modesty Survey I

In doing research for the topic of modesty, I stumbled across this very controversial survey, The Modesty Survey. The Modesty Survey is an anonymous discussion between Christian guys and girls on the topic of modesty. Apparently hundreds of Christian girls contributed to the 148-question survey and over 1,600 Christian guys submitted 150,000+ answers, including 25,000 text responses, over a 20-day period in the year of 2007. Usually you would think this is a dream come true for Christian women to be able to pick a Christian man’s brain on such a controversial issue. Initially in 2007 it was a hit and now the women who had contributed along with other men who had participated in the survey now feel that it was the worst thing that they could have done. After reading the views of both parties, I want to encourage you to read the points of view and form your own personal opinion of the survey. The links posted below are from one of the females and one of the males that took part in con

Prayers For The Month of November

Good morning to all, Sorry I have been away for a while but I am back! I pray that September and October have been good months to you. This is the month of Thanksgiving as many tend to call it. We have so much to give God thanks for. Just being alive is a blessing!  For the month of November I want us to concentrate on corporate prayer. You may ask well what is she talking about? Corporate prayer doesn't need to be a gathering of saints praying together. No, corporate prayer is about you standing in the gap for someone. There are many prophets in the Bible who did this and we can look at the story of Habakkuk. He was one of the minor prophets in the Bible who had no sin, but prayed and begged and pleaded God for mercy, forgiveness and restoration on behalf of his people who were in exile in Babylon.  God dropped in my spirit that we need to take time to prayer for others and not just ourselves. I have been guilty of this as well. So this month let's prayer f

Prayers For The Month of November

Happy November! I know I have been gone for a while. School has been so hectic this semester, but I have still been praying for you all and I am so happy God has used me to touch so many people out there to keep them encouraged while they are in they waiting period! This year has gone by so quickly....we are in November already and next month it will be Christmas time. For this month God has laid on my heart that we should pray for three things: 1) A hunger, thirst and desire for the things of God!  " As the deer  pants for streams of water,  so my soul pants  for you, my God. " Psalms 42:1 (NIV) 2) To trust in Him fully, surrendering all to Him, withholding nothing!  " Trust in the  Lord  with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6 (KJV) 3) To increase our faith! " But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God mus